Volunteer Form Filler
Volunteer Form Filler
What will you do?
- complete an introduction to Citizens Advice and training for your role
- complete paper and online forms with clients, for example to apply for a benefit, or to complete an application for money or equipment from a charity
- enter a summary of the clients’ problems and what action you’ve taken on our client management system
- look out for problems’ that are common, or are unfair, and write a short report about the problem or a letter to an elected official like an MP, AM or local councillor.
- Identify an experience of local health or social care providers, good or bad, that the client is willing to share anonymously to help improve local services.
Some examples of what you could do:
- help a client to complete an application for Personal Independence Payment
- find the information online that explains how to appeal a benefits decision and explain it to them
- call back a client to get details of the problems they are having getting a dental appointment.
What’s in it for you?
- make a real difference to people’s lives
- gain in-depth knowledge about specific issues, such as benefits, and debt
- build on valuable skills such as communication, questioning and listening, interpreting information and summarising
- increase your employability
- work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- have a positive impact in your community
And we’ll reimburse expenses too.
What do you need to have?
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll need to:
- be friendly and approachable
- be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
- have good listening skills
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- have good basic maths and IT skills
- be able to understand information and summarise it
- be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection
- be willing to undertake training in your role
How much time do you need to give?
Ideally we ask for 6 hours per week, which can be over one day or spread over two days, for at least 6 months. We can be flexible so come and talk to us.
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and we particularly welcome applications from disabled people, people with physical or mental health conditions, LGBT+ and non-binary people, and people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.
If you are interested in becoming a form filler and would like to discuss flexibility around location, time, ‘what you will do’ and how we can support you please contact us.
To express an interest and to find out more please email Kate Sawdy at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone her on 01276 417903